Seven Best Smartphone Tripods for Travel
Smartphones have become a staple in the household, workplace, and society in general not only for their primary purpose, which is to make and receive calls, but also to take selfies, which has become a ubiquitous trend in the recent past. With the advances in smartphone design, you now have a camera at the ready whenever the opportunity for awesome shots arises wherever you go.
If you are a budding photographer, getting a smartphone tripod can help you effectively harness your potential. But this begs the question-- which one fits your smartphone best? To help, we've compiled a list of the 10 best smartphone tripods on the market. For the most part, they're lightweight, which makes them very convenient to carry around. To see which one will suit you best, check out our recommendations below.
1) Manfrotto MKSCOMPACTLTBK Compact Light 51" Smart Aluminum Tripod
- Color: Black
- Universal phone clamp
- Standard 1/4 inch screw mount
- Maximum Height: 8.3 inches
- Dimensions: 3 x 3 x 10.2 inches
- Weight: 7.8 oz
Travel in style with the versatile, lightweight, and portable PIXI Smart Tripod. Elegant, functional, and sturdy, this is best option for sports enthusiasts, traveler photographers, and videographers who want to capture action and adventure moments. It boasts a universal smartphone clamp, enabling its users to use it with any smartphone available on the market. Featuring double functionality, this tripod can also be used as a stable holder. Its ergonomic grip lets you effortlessly take selfies and capture videos that really stand out from the rest.
- Sleek design
- Versatile, multi-purpose design
- Can be used as a tripod or grip
- Compatible with most devices
- Unable to handle heavier camera/lens setups
The Manfrotto PIXI Smart Tripod features a double attachment clamp which, with the help of the self-standing bracket on its back, you can use as a stable base. The tripod can also be used as a grip, perfect for capturing adventure shots. This is a reasonable choice for those who are looking for durability and stability in the midst of spontaneity.
2) CamKix Universal Wireless Selfie Kit with Bluetooth Remote Control and Premium Tripod
- Non-skid tripod feet
- Can hold phones with widths between 2.4 inches and 3.8 inches
- Universal Bluetooth remote control
- Adjustable wrist strap
- Dimensions: 10.6 x 3.5 x 1.7 inches
- Weight: 9.9 oz
Constructed with premium, high quality material and equipped with non-skid rubber feet for extra solid grip, the CamKix is sturdy and always ready to capture the action. The smartphone grip has 90-degree flexibility and can be moved to grab images or photos in both landscape and portrait modes. With superb stability allowing movie-like video capture, a very competitive price, and an easy-to-use Bluetooth wireless remote, the CamKix is no wonder an easy recommendation.
- Small, lightweight, and no-fuss remote control
- Tripod feet provides extra strong grip even in a tilted position
- Very easy to use
- Easy to pair
- Battery is not of standard type (replacement would be quite difficult)
- Remote times out after four to five minutes
This product does what it's supposed to do quite efficiently, but if you bought this for the purpose of recording videos through your smartphone, you wouldn't find this very convenient to use, given its disadvantage mentioned above. This tripod would perhaps benefit from a longer duration and/or battery saver mode.
3) JOBY MPod Mini Stand for Smartphones
- Universal fit
- Expandable head mount
- Dimensions: 3.1 x 0.3 x 1.1 inches
- Weight: 0.64 oz
When you need a tripod that is equally portable as your smartphone, don't look any further than the MPod Mini Stand. Its secure clamp holds your device perfectly within its expandable rubber jaws. The Joby MPod Mini Stand is designed with an ingenious grip system and stable leg joints, which efficiently assist you in taking professional-quality photos regardless of what kind of surface you put it on. Lightweight, compact and portable, this tripod can be effortlessly stowed away for when you need it most.
- Compact and ultra lightweight
- Ingenious grip system
- Flexible, stable leg joints
- Secure clamp
- Not reliable for holding bigger phones
If you're looking for a highly versatile, stable tripod for your smartphone, this nifty little thing will give you the most bang for your buck. You can tuck it in your bag with no muss and fuss, only that you cannot over-rely on it to hold larger phones, as it tends to get wobbly and tip over.
4) Acuvar 57" inch Pro Series Tripod, Tablet Mount + Acuvar Universal Smartphone Mount + Wireless Remote
- Three-section aluminum alloy legs
- Three-way panhead with tilt motion
- Wireless Bluetooth remote control
- Bubble level indicator
- Comes with a microfiber cleaning cloth
- Maximum stretch of 3.4” inches for smartphones
- Minimum Height: 15.5 inches
- Dimensions: 15 x 3 x 3 inches
- Weight: 15.5 oz
Despite its aluminium build, the Acuvar is a lightweight tripod that will easily adjust to your needs. Built for both Android and iOS devices, its tripod mount extends to hold any device with a maximum width of 3.4 inches. Its bubble level indicator will help alert you that you’re on solid footing and the three-way pan lets you capture photography or video in just about any direction you’ll require. The smartphone clip is capable of rotating, so you can use your smartphone in both landscape or portrait position.
- Easy to use and setup
- Mount is fully rotatable
- Legs can be stretched out to over 3 ft in height
- Very flexible
- Flimsy aluminium material
- Not very durable
The Acuvar 50" flaunts flexibility and the perfect size, making it a great tool that you can just slip in your overnight bag, backpack, or suitcase. There have been complaints about its overall quality and leg durability. It's merely a smartphone tripod. It decently delivers its purpose, and with that, you cannot expect it to defiantly hold anything other than a smartphone.
5) KobraTech Metal Cell Phone Tripod Mount - UniMount 360 Pro Heavy Duty iPhone Tripod Mount with Remote
- QuikPic Bluetooth remote shutter
- High-grade metal ball joints
- Universal compatibility
- Spring-loaded phone mount
- Money-back guarantee
- Expands up to 3.75 inches
- Dimensions: 10 x 3 x 3 inches
- Weight: 2.4 oz
The TriFlex Mini Tripod provides a great way to capture awesome photos and videos like you never could have done before, using your GoPro, point and shoot camera, smartphone, and even tablet. The TriFlex Mini Tripod looks to lead the pack with its robust build and high-grade construction. This includes a superior-quality metal ball joint and 1/4" screw, more flexible and stronger legs, along with an upgraded phone mount, so you can be confident about the safety of your device.
- Easy to store
- Fast start-up
- Just the moderate size-- not too small, not too big
- Flexible, rigid tentacles
- Superior grip on any kind of surface
- Sturdy build
- Gripes about ball joint unable to hold phone upright
- Limited mobility for ball and socket
This Amazon bestseller easily exceeds consumers' expectations on flexibility, construction quality, and size. As with anything else, what may be appealing for some, may not work for you. This product is not without limitations. Its ball joint is unable to reliably hold your phone in an upright position, so it may not be safe to use this outdoors.
6) JOBY GripTight GorillaPod Stand for Small Smartphones
- Rubber foot grips and wrappable legs
- Universal smartphone compatibility
- ABS plastic, TPE, and stainless steel materials
- ¼”-20 thread standard tripod mount
- Dimensions:12 x 6.8 x 3.4 inches
- Weight: 2.4 oz
Unleash your selfie creativity with the JOBY GripTight GorillaPod Stand. It is built with flexible, wrappable joints that secure phone to objects and allow for adaptable camera positioning, ensuring precise control during photo or video composition. Its rubber foot grips stabilize smartphone for taking crisp, high-quality photos. Its rubber pads secure phone in place, even when turned sideways.
- Easy to travel with (compact and lightweight design)
- Latches on very well
- This product has plenty of knockoff versions, so be very careful
Apart from the quibbles about the emergence of knockoff versions of this product, the JOBY GripTight GorillaPod Stand boasts a competitive price and unmatched performance. It works best even for holding larger phones and point-and-shoot cameras especially in situations when you do not want to bring a full-sized tripod. If you're the beyond-the-pale type of smartphone photographer, you can trust this to assist you in capturing great-quality photos, even when it's hung on a tree branch.
7) ChargerCity Vibration Free 360° Adjust Tripod Mount 1/4-20 Adapter, HDX-Lock Holder
- Industry-standard 1/4 20 threaded camera pattern
- Comes with a silicone case ring
- Universal smartphone mount
- Bluetooth remote control
- Dimensions: 11.5 x 6 x 1.9 inches
- Weight: 5.6 oz
If you are in the market for a travel tripod that gets things done in a pinch, this flexible tripod by ChargerCity leaves no room for disenchantment. It comes with a highly versatile and widely compatible phone holder. Its 360º swivel-adjust ball joint is designed with ease of use and simplicity in mind. Its Bluetooth remote control is a perfect addition-- incredibly easy to pair and works flawlessly.
- Easy to set up and use
- Easy to adjust and highly rotatable holder
- Very sturdy mount
- Clamp is too tough to pull apart
- Cannot hold so much weight
If you are not a smartphone-photography fanatic but looking for a tripod not just to play your phone with (especially with a screen smaller than 6 inches diagonal) but to hold it for a variety of other purposes, ChargerCity’s MegaGrab2 Selfie Kit is a fine option. While it isn’t as stable and reliable as our top picks, its ease of use, versatility, and flexible holder make it a fairly useful tool to achieve crisper photos especially in the outdoors.