Seven Best Backpacks for Travel
1) Osprey Packs Farpoint 55 Men's Travel Backpack
- Fixed, unisex back panel
- Additional bag included
- Sleeping pad straps
- Item dimensions: 13 x 26 x 13 inches
- Weight: 5.1 lbs
The Osprey Far Point 55 is designed to handle loads up to 50 lbs. It features a light-wire frame suspensions that shifts the load from harness to hip belt. It comes with a mesh back panel that enhances ventilation, while the mesh on its harness and hip belt minimizes chafing under load. The main Far point 55 pack comes with a detachable Far point daypack to store your essentials for long-distance backpacking in the hills or downtown excursions.
- Huge capacity
- Easy to pack
- Can be transformed into a day pack
- Frame for larger pack makes it too big to be a carry on
The Osprey Farpoint 55's rugged and comfortable suspension has made it an obvious choice for backpacking trips overseas. It comes with a detachable day pack, which further makes it a fantastic choice for an all-in-one luggage piece. This would have been an impeccable gear, if its main pack isn't too large to made a carry on. Nonetheless, it is a great equipment to bring along especially on long international flights with multiple layovers. Overall, the Farpoint 55 is a pleasure to use, and a reliable companion on a surprisingly broad range of activities.
- Padded in all sides
- Top, bottom and side handles, one on each side for easy access
- Internal & external zippered document pocket
- Item dimensions: 21 x 15 x 6 inches
- Weight: 2.4 lbs
The Arcteryx Covert CO Case is packed with features that will satisfy your inner backpacker and possibly your cultivated tendencies to just stuff and fold your gear into your pack. This duffel bag/backpack combo allows you to cram and stuff your belongings into it, then use its inner compression straps, zip it up, and you'll come out looking like a consummate business man sans the compromise to your backpacking style. It sports a smooth exterior, and a smooth overall design, making it very easy to maneuver in different situations.
- Packing cubes very useful for organization
- Easy to pack
- Less comfortable
- Not enough capacity
- Straps often loosen suddenly
The Covert is very easy to pack, very lightweight, sleek, and durable. For as long as carrying comfort, carry on size, and oodles of features are not requisites in your travel pack needs, this is a pack that will keep you stoked for a long time.
3) Pacsafe Venturesafe EXP45 Anti-Theft Carry-On Travel Backpack, Black
- Polyester lining
- Zipper closure
- RFID safe blocking system
- Nylon material
- Item dimensions: 29.6 x 15.8 x 13 inch
- Weight: 3 lbs
Enjoy a worry-free travel with the Pacsafe Venturesafe GII back pack. It features a number of anti-theft technologies that ensure peace of mind while you're out and about. It is designed with a flexible, stainless steel wire mesh built into the bag's fabric and an RFID safe blocking material to keep your identity safe, so you never have to be wary about electronic pick-pocketing. That's the last thing you need when going on a vacation.
- Comfortable back pad
- Huge capacity
- Easy to carry
- Great design and quality
- Useful anti-theft security features
- Shoulder straps are close-set
- Angled design at the bottom causes the bag to tip forward
- The smaller compartment is separated from the main compartment only by a very thin fabric
- Cannot be slid down over the handle of any suitcase
If the thought of getting into a identity theft incident scares you, you may find the Pacsafe Venturesafe Backpack very useful, especially for international trips. While it comes with a laptop compartment, this travel pack is designed and purposed as a day pack that you can just slip your laptop into. This serves more efficiently as a back-up pack rather than a computer bag.
4) Patagonia Black Hole Mlc Travel Duffle, 45 cm, liters, (Negro)
- Internal padded sleeve
- Durable cordura nylon material
- Comes with shoulder strap, two carrying handles, and ergonomic shoulder straps
- Item dimensions: 17.7 x 9.4 x 5.9 inches
- Weight: 3.3 lbs
Tired of waiting for your baggage to come out? The Patagonia Headway 45-liter MLC (Maximum Legal Carry-On) fits most airline carry-on regulations to have you zipping through airports with great ease. It is built with durable nylon Cordura Ballistic fabric with polyurethane coating stands up beautifully to the rigors of travel. The main compartment contains multiple sub-compartments that you can use any way you like.
- Simple and user-friendly
- Perfect balance of features
- Low-profile padding in the shoulder strap and backpack itself is thin but stiff enough to support
- Features are thoughtfully designed
- Converts easily from a backpack to a duffel bag
- Pack's suspension is not optimized for long-distance backpacking
- Not comfortable when heavy
- Panel design makes bag easy to manage at the airport
The Headway's design is simple yet intuitive and fully featured, but definitely not labyrinthine. It, in fact, seems to epitomize the ideal travel pack, flaunting a useful combination of the features present in a suitcase, duffel, briefcase, and backpack.
5) Kelty Redwing 44 Backpack
- Dynamic AirFlow back panel
- Polyester material
- LightBeam single aluminum stay
- Hydration compatible
- Item dimensions: 22 x 19 x 14 inches
- Weight: 6 lbs
The Kelty Redwing 44 descends from a long line of comfortable travel backpacks. It easy to use, comfortable, and thoughtfully designed for a wide range of uses. It is constructed from polyester material, and dynamic airflow panel, making it excellent for outdoor-leaning trips. It will take you overseas, on a short backpacking trip, and even to the crag to go rock climbing.
- Versatile for outdoor-centered travels
- Compact and well shaped
- Certified pack-of-all-trades
- Not ideal for carry on
The Kelty Redwing 44 is designed to endure and reduce the chances of possible damage, should you do need to check it in every once in a while when you travel. Though not ideal as a carry-on backpack, we highly recommend it for avid outdoor enthusiasts who live out of their backpacks (thus spend less time in airports) and who love to head out to more rural backcountry destinations.
6) Gregory Border 35 Daypack
- Padded laptop and tablet sleeves
- Side zippered security pocket
- Fits 15" laptop with TSA/Security friendly panel
- Contoured shoulder harness shaped with EVA foam for ultimate comfort
- Item dimensions: 20 x 12 x 9
- Weight: 2.14 lbs.
If you've been struggling to learn the perfect packing technique, you probably have been looking for a travel pack that opens like a duffel so you can easily find all of your stuff at once. You've finally found that with the Gregory Border 35 pack. This backpack is designed with a zippered duffel access in its main compartment. Its top accessory pocket has a key clip and a zippered internal mesh security pocket where you can stash all of your valuables. For larger items, you can use its zippered mesh organizer pocket, which you can find its main compartment lid.
- Huge capacity
- Simple design
- Great carry on
- Does not support heavy loads
What makes this travel pack a hit among many consumers is its laptop sleeve. With that aside, its main compartment design poses a striking disadvantage and makes this bag lag behind its competitors. As such, you would have trouble figuring out the most appropriate use or design focus of this pack. It settles at the lower end of the capacity spectrum. The quality, all in all, is relatively remarkable, and we are hopeful that future changes in its design will be something to look forward to.
7) Versatile Canvas Sling Bag/Urban Travel Backpack, Black | Wear Over Shoulder or Crossbody for Men & Women, by NeatPack
- Zippered compartment
- Ergonomic padded strap
- Water bottle mesh pocket
- RFID blocking system
- Item dimensions: 12.5 x 4 x 18.5 inches
- Weight: 0.93 lbs
Looking for a sharp-looking, well-made, affordable, durable pack? You've found it with the Versatile Canvas Sling Bag / Travel Backpack / Wear Over Shoulder by NeatPack. This stylish, lightweight, and versatile sling backpack holds your travel essentials without weighing you down. It is designed with more compartments than any other bag and can be worn comfortably in multiple ways. It also has a hidden RFID pocket, so you're sure to travel without any worry for identity theft.
- Versatile design
- Hidden RFID pocket
- Excellent stitching
- Premium-quality material
- Sturdy zippers
- Phone compartment design flaw (not adjustable so it is right under your chin when the bag is slung on your back)
- Very small; not ideal for long trips
We haven't come across any travel backpack that has as many compartments and sheer versatility as this. For its price, you probably will find its wouldn't believe how it can stand tough against wear and tear. Despite its size, it is brimming with many other features that are otherwise found in much more expensive packs.